Sunday 3 June 2012

Precious Moments

Abuja: June 3rd 2012


I was with a dear friend for about an hour from noon. He had unknowingly or unintentionally annoyed me previously and so when I saw him today I was a bit cold towards him.
He had come to Abuja yesterday to attend a party along with quite a few of his friends. I met up with him just as he was trying to book a flight back to Lagos. He had tried a couple of airlines without luck - including my preferred one 'Dana Air' the flights were all full. The only available flight seemed to be the late evening Dana but that didn't seem suitable because his friend had to be at a function in Lagos at 4pm. The most ideal one would have been the afternoon Dana flight. Even though I know someone who may have been able to get them on the Dana afternoon flight, I just didn't bother making any attempt to help because I was in a bad mood. I sat there with them for a little while and left. Just as I was about to get into the car, my friend asked me what the matter was and I replied saying 'we would talk later'.

I got home and went straight to bed as I was not feeling very well. Only to be woken a couple of hours later, with the news that there had been a plane crash in Lagos - Dana Air from Abuja. Oh my God! My heart sank! I immediately called my friend and confirmed that he was fine but he apparently had two friends on the flight (May their souls rest in peace)

As the evening unfolded and I received calls from friends and family checking for my safety and as I also called friends and family, I began to reflect on what is really important. I thought about the reason for my annoyance at my friend and I realized that it truly did not matter in the least. I wondered how I would have felt had he been on that flight and I had wasted the last minutes I had with him bearing a grudge.

This incidence today has once again impressed upon me the need to focus on what truly matters and to try my best not to waste precious moments.

My heart goes out to the families and friends of all who lost their lives in the plane crash and the bomb blast today. May you all have the strength and wherewithal to bear this terrible loss. 

1 comment:

  1. Quite true and a reminder of the fragility of life. The past is done, the future does not yet exist. All that is real is now. Live in the moment

    ReplyDelete