Friday 21 September 2012

Is age really just a number?

Quite a number of my friends have recently turned forty. Some celebrated, some just let it slip by quietly, and   some were actually shy about turning forty. The shock of it though is that a few of those who were shy about it, were guys!! I mean what is the world turning to? Lol 
I mean I've had cases of women who were my seniors in secondary school who have now convinced themselves and are trying to convince me that I am older than they are, (yes o) but never guys. Let's not even start with the Naija celebs who constantly LIE about their age. That one is a matter for another day.

So here I am excitedly planning towards mine - still a few years away, thank you very much! - with my friends who are same age as me. It has become some sort of project for me. I keep asking everyone how they celebrated, or intend to celebrate. Recently, I met up - separately - with two of my male  friends who have just turned forty and
I of course asked how they celebrated. You cannot begin to imagine the shock I got with their reactions. They did not at all want to be reminded that they had indeed reached the "forty" mark. One of them confessed that he even went into depression six months before his birthday. He also has been trying to convince his kids that he is twenty two!
The other one would not even discuss it. He says he would "defriend" anyone who dares to mention it on facebook lol!! I found that really incredible  mostly because he is in fact a cancer survivor!
Okay... I also have a female friend who when I asked how she would be celebrating, she said she didn't want to because everyone would then know her age - mind you, she has four children, the first of whom is now in secondary school!

I guess everyone has a right to feel however they do, but I am surprised more than anything else because for one, women are the ones who are known usually to be shy about their age, not men. And secondly, with the number of deaths and mishaps that have been recorded amongst our peers in recent times, I am just thankful to be alive regardless of anything else. According to my darling daddy - who just turned seventy five - when you lie about your age, you are being ungrateful to the one who has kept you thus far.

I know for sure that when erm... eventually I do turn forty, I will certainly be celebrating so watch this space!

5 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm, its intresting and funny because my sister, a friend of hers and i were just discussing how we would celebrate when we eventually turn 40!!!
    You know what? I'm gonna party like a rockstar when i turn forty,like they say life begins at forty (winks).
    Till then, i will continue praising God for life itself,he is awesome.
    Stay blessed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The issue is not with the age per say , but with how people match their "achievements" side by side their age; if you are sitting on top of the world at forty, you will want to celebrate. Most people set unrealistic goals and therefore feel disappointed with themselves as they grow older, they turn the corner and its forty, with goals largely unmet. But life is not so, forty years of experience is something to proud of. I don't know if when i turn 40 i gonna throw a lavish party to celebrate (really not big on party thing), but one thing is for sure, i will have a grateful heart in me to God, cos He has brought me a long way, OH YEAH!! really long way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am 43, a female and I am proud of my age. I don't hide it in any way. I am glad that God has brought me this far! I guess different strokes for different folks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soks baby,I personally do not hide my age,I tell whoever cares to know,and they are lk WOW,u don't look it,I will turn forty in a few years time and I'm gonna party lk neva before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. rola ndidi okon3 April 2013 at 10:41

    Its really unfortunate that anyone would lie about age.if one thinks at a certain age he/she hasn't achieved enough,he/she should stop and ask what personal effort was put in to be alive today.rather than lie about the age I think its better not to talk about it.

    ReplyDelete