Wednesday 26 September 2012

Something for the boy

A new LG shop just opened near where I live in Lagos and so I went to check it out. I had been needing to get a new fridge anyway.

I got there and quickly found what I was looking for - the shop is nicely laid out. Having identified the product I wanted, I called the attention of an assistant to put the purchase through. Again it was pretty straight forward. I walked with the girl to the payment desk, made the payment and got the receipt. The same assistant then handed me a sheet of paper to write down my address and phone number for delivery.
I took the paper and pen and began to write and then, boom! She says to me " aunty, what do you have for me for the weekend?" Huh??!! I could not believe it. I thought I heard wrong so I muttered something which suggested that I hadn't heard her. She goes right ahead to repeat what I had indeed heard. This resulted in a mild irritation which I expressed by telling her that she should be the one giving me something for the weekend seeing as I had just patronised her organisation. That said, I quickly walked away.

Now I had to wait a few minutes for the fridge to be loaded into the delivery vehicle to drive behind me as I live really close by.
The fridge was delivered to my address by another assistant and again, as he is about to leave after delivery, he says to me "aunty anything for the boy?" - Seriously??! This time, my irritation had developed to anger. I practically threw him out of my flat! I mean, has this become normal practice? I get that people just generally expect to be tipped and all of that but is it now okay to DEMAND it? Especially when I do not even recognise that the individual in question has offered an exceptional service. The basic service I have already paid for so please help me out here...

3 comments:

  1. Tips are always appreciated.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, but still I don't think it should be demanded like some sort of right though

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its wrong to demand for tips.I believe tips should be given when you're pleased with an exceptional service.



    ReplyDelete