Tuesday 3 December 2013

Asylum

I have just read with horror, a seriously distressing story in the UK Guardian See story here and Here about a Nigerian asylum seeker
being forcefully deported. Even more distressing are some of the comments on the forum. I know we are all entitled to our own opinions but men; I am stunned all the same.

I am really torn on this matter. First and foremost, I do not believe that any human being should be treated in this manner regardless of the situation and moreso when he has not been found to be a dangerous criminal. I mean his claim may have been a bit bogus and all (Boko Haram) but it just seems to me like excessive show of power was employed against this individual. The home office went as far as getting a chartered plane and got him on board the plane using a stretcher!
For Christ's sake doctors had certified him as unfit to travel. I cannot understand why they would go that far!

On the other hand, this sends such a sad message that a full grown man (45 years old) would rather go on hunger strike for 100 days, seriously damaging his health than be returned to the country of his birth Nigeria. How very sad. Is it not time for our government to shake of their delusions or whatever is marring their good judgement and do the needful? Nigerians as a people do not even ask for or expect much just the basics to guarantee a decent existence. If our ogas at the top would only sort out our economy, security, and basic infrastructure - Power, portable water and health - I believe no Nigerian would want to subject themselves to such dehumanizing conditions. As far as I know, the average Nigerian is hard working and proud. I feel so sad that our situation has come to this and, my heart bleeds for Mr Muaza. I hope he is able to make a full recovery and somehow make something good out of this unfortunate incidence.

God help us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment