Friday 6 July 2012

Words

More and more I have noticed how people tend to arbitrarily interchange words. Personally, I find it quite painful to read. (maybe it's the old age catching up on me. lol)
Well, seeing as we learn everyday, I have taken the liberty to put down my two cents.

Here are a few words which contrary to seemingly popular belief, ARE NOT interchangeable. (This list by the way is by no means exhaustive)

  • Leave - Live
  • Being - Been
  • Of - Off
  • Does - Those
  • This - These
  • Sow - Sew
  • Heard - Had
  • Reap - Rip
  • Their - There 
  • You're - Your
  • Steal - Still
  • One's - Once
  • He's - His
  • Cause - Course
Also, there are words which have no plural. Again the list below is by no means exhaustive.

  • Luggage
  • Staff
  • Guest
  • Stuff
  • Data
  • Acne
  • Vegetable
  • Criticism
  • Flock
  • Stock
I'm hoping that I have been of help to some. That's my christian charity done for the day. Hehehehe...

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the first part, people then to use one for d other especially when writing, but i beg to differ on the second part, i mean most of us know dis one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank u my dear! Very painful to see..... If it's a one-off, then that's forgivable.... But when the blunders keep turning up..... Arrgghhh!! The one i saw this morning: 'arait'.... That's supposed to be 'alert'.... And this from an undergraduate! I cease (or sieze as the case may be) my rant.... lolll....

    ReplyDelete