Wednesday 25 July 2012

Perspective


Yesterday, I needed to get my nails done having had them in such a sorry state for a couple of weeks now. (The girl who usually does them has been MIA for at least a week) I happened to be on the mainland so I called my friend who lives on the mainland and always has impeccable nails. My friend gave me a number to call which I did; and with my appointment arranged, off I went to find this hidden guru (she operates from home)
 I found the place quite easily but I was in for an awakening of sorts. 


This lady has a one month old baby, as well as two other young children and no help! She lives in a one bedroom 'apartment' so it goes without saying that the place was tight beyond description and stuffy. What struck me the most however was her countenance. If she felt less than happy, she would indeed make a fantastic actress! She was so cheerful, so polite, so appreciative and quite generous! 

I tried to make small talk with her, all the while my mind roaming, deep in thought. Just wondering how this family gets by. Here is this lady with three children and probably a husband living in a one bedroom apartment which doubles as a workshop. I on the other hand would complain about my wardrobe not being big enough, or needing a second car and a driver etc. This is not to suggest that I previously had no knowledge of this kind of condition but seeing the presence of love and lack of bitterness or sadness or self pity kind of took me by surprise.

While I was there, her young son who is sitting for promotion exams in his school (primary school) was boasting about his 54% score in one subject. I was rather impressed with her response. She asked him in the exact same words my father used to ask my siblings and I at that age "is the person who scored 100% not in your class?"

By the time I was leaving this family, I had certainly learnt a valuable lesson. Not least of which is because she even wrote off a part of my bill as it was my first time. And she did an absolutely fabulous job! My meeting with this lovely lady just helped put a lot of things in perspective for me. An emotion my friend who referred me shares completely.

2 comments:

  1. Very true my frd.So many things in life we over looked.we have lost focus of our core values and things we shld be appreciative of ,we completely ignore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dats why we should always be thankful for the little we have,so many people out there have practically nothing,may God bless our hearts

    ReplyDelete