Tuesday 8 February 2011

Hair

So I chopped off all my hair at the beginning of this year and boy am I relieved!

 I recently watched the documentary by Chris Rock "Good hair" and it was such an eye opener. I saw the origins of all this human hair that we wear, I saw the effects of relaxers on our health and body etc
I had been toying with the idea of going 'natural' for a few months but didn't really have the guts to do it until I saw this documentary. I just could no longer bring myself to wear hair that has been sacrificed at temples for whatever reasons. Neither could I sit and allow relaxer be applied to my hair and scalp. Just the thought of it made me cringe and feel physical pain!

I have now been wearing my hair in its natural state for 5 weeks and I have never been so happy and confident about my hair. Some people who are on or have taken this same journey have had unpleasant experiences with people making snide comments but truth be told, I have had nothing but compliments.

For me, its more than just the new found fear or wariness of relaxing/altering my hair texture or wearing dodgy weaves or damaging my scalp. It is more of a spiritual move. It is a step forward in embracing who I am . I don't know where this journey will take me, but I'm sure looking forward to the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment