Wednesday 15 February 2012

PARENTHOOD

I wish more parents would take more responsibility in the discipline and upbringing of their children. These days, people seem so eager to have children like its some sort of contest but once the child is born, they seem even more eager to pass on the responsibility to someone else; anyone else!

My most recent experience of this sort happened on a flight from Lagos to London. I was seated in the row immediately behind the first row in the aisle seat and there were two young children (no more than 3 & 5 yrs old) sitting in the two seats next to mine. There was a nursing mother sitting directly in front of me, so I naturally assumed her to be the mother of the two youngsters beside me. I was however later to discover that to be far from the truth.
The mother of my immediate neighbours was in fact sitted across the aisle in the window seat! Needless to say I was shocked. It just did not make any sense to me. Anyhow, I decided to give her the benefit of doubt and see how the whole scenario would unfold.

So there I was, minding my own business all the while realising that the peace, quiet and sleep that I had hoped for was now a distant wish while the kids kept falling over me and screaming across me and over my head to their mum. The one nearest to me keeps poking at me to ask questions or for some kind of assistance. At this point I began to wonder if this lady was maybe shy to ask for a seat swap so in my usual kind hearted way (lol), I offer her the opportunity to swap seats and be closer to her kids to be better able to care for them. To my utter amazement, she smiles ever so sweetly and says '"NO". I want to be able to stretch my legs. That’s why I chose to seat here.’ I honestly could not believe that I was hearing her correctly. And yet, when her daughter wanted her entertainment system switched on, she called on her mum (again screaming over my head), and this lady gives me this look as if urging me to sort it out. Now why should I a complete stranger who she has never exchanged one statement with be willing to become her child’s carer when she the mother cannot be bothered? And yet, some people would be quick to judge this as child loathing on my part.
I mean seriously??!!

No comments:

Post a Comment